June 20, 2016
7 Easy tips on how to take care of your jewellery
1.KEEP IT CLEANOne of the best tips in learning how to keep costume jewelry looking its best is to keep your stuff clean. Whether it’s a ring, necklace, bracelet or earrings, exposing them to lotion, perfume, oil, water or any harsh chemicals is a recipe for destruction. Be sure to always take off your jewelry before you apply lotion or perfume or expose it to any water.
2. GIVE IT A BREAKThis next costume jewelry tip encourages you to give your fashion jewelry pieces a break every now and then. Most fashion jewelry isn’t meant to be worn on a daily basis. Therefore, if you do wear them very frequently, you might notice discoloration. Costume jewelry will also look better and last longer if you wear it only on occasion.
3. BAG IT UPHow do you store your costume jewelry? Do you keep it in a jewelry box or perhaps you have a drawer full of accessories? I was never aware of this, but the best way to prevent tarnishing, chipping, tangling and damage is by storing your fashion jewelry in a soft pouch. Jewelry boxes come in at a close second, but storing the pieces individually in a bag is the best way to prevent damage.
4. TAKE IT OFFWe’ve already touched on the fact that we shouldn’t wear our costume jewelry on a daily basis, but I also want to remind you to take it off at the end of the day. Think of it like makeup, you never want to go to sleep with it on. Sleeping with your jewelry on is a sure way to damage it or even break it. In addition to damaging your piece, sleeping with your jewelry on can also scratch or discolor your skin.
5. MAKE IT SHINEIf you already own a fine jewelry cleaner, you can likely use the same cleaner on your costume jewelry pieces; just be sure to read the ingredients. You’ll want to avoid any cleaners that contain acid, alcohol, vinegar or ammonia as they can damage your jewelry. If your jewelry is silver, you can always use a silver polishing cloth to clean and remove tarnish.
6. CLEAN AFTER WEARINGAnother costume jewelry tip to consider is to clean your jewelry after each wear. It might seem like a hassle after a long day, but it can make a huge difference in the way it looks and how long it lasts. There’s always the possibility that you got soap, lotion, oil from your skin or some type of chemical on your jewelry while you wore it, so don’t put it away before you get the chance to clean it or at least wipe it down with a soft cloth. Also, make sure your jewelry is completely dry before you put it away!
7. DON’T COAT ITSome people swear by coating their costume jewelry with Krylon and if it works for you, by all means do it. However, most jewelry care experts will warn against coating your pieces in any kind of protectant or finish as it can end up taking off or changing the finish of your jewelry. Some people like to use clear nail polish on certain pieces of fashion jewelry to prevent their skin from turning green, also. Experts say that this is usually due to a chemical reaction and keeping your jewelry clean and dry should help, but if you want a fast fix, you can always try clear polish.
Help your jewelry last longer and look its best by following these fashion jewelry care tips. Costume jewelry is affordable, stylish and a great way to try out new trends without investing a lot. Do you have any tips on keeping costume jewelry? How do you care for your costume jewelry?
October 04, 2017